Free software to take back control of your videos
Our plans for PeerTube in 2023
We (Bonjour, we are Framasoft, a small French not-for-profit!) are proud to present our roadmap for the 2023 developments and side projects we have for PeerTube.
Please keep in mind that we have only one (1!) developer dedicated to PeerTube, as it is one of our 50+ projects.
Late February: PeerTube 5.1
- Request an account (with admin approbation)
- For develpoers: improvements on the external authentification plugin API (set quota, update user, etc.)
- Optimiation of the retrieval of comments from a video
- “Back to live” button in the video player
- Improvements and bugfixes (related to a stress test in late December [FR])
May 2023: PeerTube 5.2
- Remote transcoding (see this idea): reducing the power requirements of a PeerTube server by delegating power-hungry tasks to external machines.
- Huge technical challenge (details are being worked out)
- Will lower the CPU required for a PeerTube server by reporting CPU consuming tasks externally
- Only for video uploads at first, but designed to be upgradable (e.g. for livestreams)
November-December 2023: PeerTube v6
All those features are inspired by your suggestions on our Let’s Improve PeerTube feedback tool.
- Add chapters to videos
- Get a preview thumbnail in progress bar
- Protect videos with password/token
- Upload a new version of my video
All year long
- Bug fixes, clean the code and improve architecture to prepare future works
- Train an intern (Wicklow, who is already with us!) to experiment teamwork and familiarize more people with the core code
- Support external and community-based development, such as the Live-Chat plugin
- Work on our content curation and showcase platform Peer.tube (note the dot!)
Funded by donations
PeerTube, like all of our 50+ projects, is mainly funded through grassroots donations to our not for profit. On this roadmap, only the v5.2 Remote transcoding feature is already funded, thanks to an NLnet grand.
If you want to help us achieving this roadmap, please consider supporting us by contributing to PeerTube, sharing this information, and (if you can afford it), donating to Framasoft.
Who is behind PeerTube?
PeerTube is proposed by a French not-for-profit association: Framasoft
Created in 2004, the association is now dedicated to popular education on the challenges of the digital age and the cultural commons. Our small structure (38 including 10) is known the De-google-ify Internet project (16 ethical and alternative online tools) and for the development of PeerTube, Mobilizon, etc. Recognized as being of general interest Framasoft is funded at 93% by your donations, which are tax deductible for French taxpayers.
Because freedom doesn’t mean it’s free…
Framasoft is responsible for the budgetary management and development of the project, among other things. Do you think we are going in the right direction? Then, if you have the desire and the means, we invite you to make a donation.
- Recurring donations can be stopped anytime, just ask us.
- If you want to modify your recurring donation, please contact us, we will stop the current one and you will be able to make a new one.
- Tax receipts (in France only) are sent by postal mail in March/April 2024 (before tax declaration) for 2023 donations
- Financial and activity reports can be found on the not-for-profit page
- If you have more questions, you may find answers there…
Why support Framasoft?
Thanks to your money…
Share in person
Your donations allow us to participate in nearly one hundred events each year. We bring physical tools (Metacards, guides [Résolu], Framabooks, Flyers) to better approach the digital world.
Consolidate what serves you
The directory Framalibre, the publishing house Framabook, the Framablog, the De-google-ify Internet services, the actions of Contributopia... exist only thanks to your support. Bring them to life!
Contribute to other communities
We want to put our tools at the service of people who work for a contribution company. Framasoft navigates in an archipelago of communities with similar values, and contributes to common actions in exchange and mutual aid.
Maintain the technical tools
Framasoft is about fifty open source sites and services, deployed on about thirty servers. Our members ensure the maintenance, the support, the animation and the update. Your donations ensure that it is free of charge for everyone.
Drawing a new digital horizon
The MOOC CHATONS, PeerTube, Mobilizon… Thanks to your donations, we design and produce user-friendly digital tools, that emancipate themselves from the laws of the economy of attention to better respect what connects us.
Framasoft in 2021
- 22 years of existence
- 38 members and 10 employees
- 33 projects (16 ethical online services)
- 700 contributors
- 6,156 patrons
- 4,000,000 visits per mounth
- 1,374 free resources in our directory
- 2,758 blog posts
- 100 events each year to talk and reach different audiences
Find our where your money goes
Your donations ensure our independence (93% of our income in 2021).
Because creating and maintaining ethical digital tools requires time and human talent, the bulk of our time and talent is spent on the budget is used to compensate (as fairly and equitably as possible) our employees and service providers.
Each year, our accounts are audited and validated by a statutory auditor. independent accounts (we publish reports on this page).
- Employees: 77%
- Servers and domains: 6%
- Operating expanses: 4.5%
- Events and meetings: 2%
- Communication: 1%
- Project providers: 4%
- Banking fees and taxes: 5.5%
(data updated the 10/17/2022)